Friday 21 October 2011

TWC WEEK TEN

This week's class is one of the most fun and light hearted class thus far, as we discuss on
EMERGING TECHNOLOGIES!


I think the quote above is very true. The most creative stage of my life was when I was a toddler. Nothing was impossible then, as I imagined all sorts of scenario while playing with lego and polly pockets. And recently as I tried to play with my nephews, I found it really hard to play along. Probably because I know that humans can't fly and there are just no such things as firing laser beams from your eyes. But, this week's lesson has made me realize, maybe it is possible, if we stop constraining ourselves to what we know and have learnt, and let our imagination take over. 

As I have mentioned in my presentation this week, Matilda was my all time favourite show as I was amazed at her powers of controlling things with her mind! I absolutely loved it when she caused chaos in the classroom, driving the school's horrid headmaster,  Ms Trunchbull, out of her wits! I would have loved to do something like that too! HAHA! But that was all just a dream to me as I learnt through many of my own experimenting of trying to bend a spoon with my mind. However, through some research, it is possible, with the technology called Brain Computer Interface! REALLY AMAZING. 

Another technology which really wowed me in class this week is called augmented reality. I am so fascinated with it that I couldn't stop linking it with new ideas in Creative Thinking Class. Imagine how everything we see come to life in 3D form, making the world and studying even more interesting. Below is a video which I found on youtube, showing how augmented reality can be used in our education systems in the future. 


Books are no longer just filled with boring text, or just pictures. With augmented reality, our sight, smell, touch and hearing senses are greatly enhanced, making future education more interactive, greatly improving our learning ability.

While all these new technologies will definitely bring about certain negative impacts. For example, with brain controls, people may not find the need to move about anymore as everything can be done with our thoughts. In addition, this may result to social problems as people do not see the need to communicate as much with one another or even greater security issues as terrorist no longer needs suicide bombers. They only have to plant a bomb in somebody's bag and think of disarming it, killing millions of people. Thus, there would be a great need for innovators to also consider the negative impacts and perhaps limit this technology to those who will truly benefit from it, such as locked in patients who are completely disabled head to toe. With mind controls, this would definitely revolutionize their quality of life. 
To end, I would like to share another video on glass technology. With something so simple, who would have thought that it could possibly change our lives, bringing so much convenience. I absolutely enjoyed knowing about more technologies ahead of us as well as all of the presentations made by my friends this week. 10/10 :)

Can't wait for more!
Selene :)

No comments:

Post a Comment